Sunday, August 19, 2012

TUSAL and life update

First up is my August TUSAL. I worked on The Quiltmaker that is the tan that you see on the top. I may have to get a bigger container for my orts if I keep it up. Which is good right?

Now on to life. I was to start a work free vacation on Wednesday the 8th but  it started two days early. Two Sundays ago on the 5th of August I go a phone call from my Aunt and she told me that my dad had a stroke and was in the hospital and was doing okay. So I went to work that night with my phone on just in case things turned bad. The next day I get a phone call while sleeping again from my aunt and she told me that my dad had been moved to ICU and that I need to get there. So I hurried and packed called work several times saying that I was not going to be there I had to get to my parents house NOW. My husband drove me the
4 1/2 hours to get there since I was in no condition to drive and when we got there my sister came out and was talking to me and said that dad was stable and was looking good. Some how I just didn't believe her, this is the same sister who didn't call me when my mom had seizures after taking a test at the doctor's office earlier this year. 
Anyway I went and saw him which was extremely hard to do since the last time I saw anyone in a hospital bed it was my grandfather and it tore me up. He was talking and stuff like that and knew who I was even without his glasses which was good but when he talked he made no sense. He kept saying something about his bark, which I took to me his speech. I had to get out of the room and have a cry. I spent the next several days in the hospital only going back to the room once a day because I just couldn't see my dad that way. On  Wednesday I spent a little more time with him and he was a little more like himself tell me how to can tomatoes (like I was gonna remember). I felt a lot better after that. He was moved to a regular room on Thursday and then was sent home on Friday. He is on several different meds to keep his blood pressure down and his blood thin. He went to a Threshermen's show on Saturday much to my objection. He was in a wheel chair most of the time so I guess it wasn't that bad.
He is doing so much better now. He still gets his words confused when he is getting tired or just wakes up and his right side is still numb but the doctor's say that should go away with time. He isn't at work yet but is working at getting better. My sister stays with him during the day and makes him do his writing exercises to he can at least write his name. It's tough since he is right handed and that hand is numb. I get regular updates and pics from my sister on how he is doing. 
I'm so glad that it was just a minor stroke and not a major one. It has made me realize that I need to get healthier since I have the same blood pressure issues that my dad has and right now it's a little on the high side even with 2 different kinds of meds to control it. It's tough though when I work overnights and all I want to do when I get home is sleep and sit on the couch. I'm working on cooking meals at home instead of eating  out every day which is a lot easier.
I'm thinking of starting a weight loss counter on here so I can see what I've lost/gained every week and it will give me an excuse to post updates on my stitching as well.

That's it for today folks.


Maureen said...

I hope your dad gets well soon. I know how you my mum suffered a couple of strokes, it can be quite hard to see your parents like that.

Dani - tkdchick said...

Lovely orts